Who am I?
I am an Event / Fundraising Manager with over twenty two years experience in the hospitality industry and military charity sector.
Since setting up SJD Events Limited over thirteen years ago, I have not looked back. It has certainly not always been plain sailing but, being your own boss is so rewarding, so my advice to anyone considering taking the plunge is to ‘follow your dream’.
I would describe myself as an adrenaline junky for other people’s stress, and always happy to roll my sleeves up as my motto is that it is always a ‘team’ effort.
In 2014, I decided to diversify and step back from Weddings and find a niche in the charity sector.
- May 2018 to date – Chairman, BADA Committee for Maggies.
- September 2018 to date – Event Manager, There But Not There (Remembered Charity).
- September 2015 to February 2017 – Coming Home (Haig Housing). I undertook a consultancy role, 2 days a week with Coming Home the fundraising arm of Haig Housing Trust where I had been volunteering with them since May. I worked on the Tower of London For Queen & Country event where we projected images on the exterior, the first time ever. I also worked on the Rankin book ‘For Queen & Country’ and created an art exhibition with other military artists at the Motor Village in Marylebone.
- May to December 2015, Voluntary work at Maggie’s Head Office, London. Maggie’s is a cancer charity that offers support through 19 drop in centres throughout the UK for everyone suffering with the effects Cancer has on your life. It is an amazing charity and in September 2015 with six friends we did Culture Crawl through the night as Rainbow Warriors.
- February to September 2014, I undertook a consultancy role as Event Manager for Combat Stress (The Veterans’ Mental Health Charity) working on a number of key events within the Fundraising team.
For more information please visit my website at:
Otherwise, please continue to enjoy my blog about my every day life and interests.